How To Become SEO Junior: Not Brief, But Still To the Point
In many IT-companies, the position of Junior intersects with the Trainee; however, these two should be differentiated. Junior is an autonomous employee who has enough knowledge to manage the website but still lacks the experience to make some strategic decisions. Though situations vary and Junior in one company can be much more professional than Senior in the other one. It happens as requirements and grading in different fields of IT vary with regard to to the niche, operational goals, and business tasks. Our Boosta team endeavored to create a universal portrait of SEO Junior.
I’ve already discussed more things crucial to kick-off a career in SEO in the article about SEO Trainee. In case you think you are ready for the Junior, most likely, you already know what to expect from your work. The only thing left is to find out the employer’s expectations. In this post, I will share SEO Junior’s task-list.
Let’s start with the basics – the experience, namely. The companies search for the workers with an average experience of 6 months, but we in Boosta consider applicants with 2+ months of work expertise. Because what really matters is professional skills.
The basic requirements for Junior, as well as for the Trainee, are the knowledge of English on the level of Upper-Intermediate and higher, PC hotkeys knowledge, the ability to work with Excel / Google Spreadsheets, and typing speed 230-250 symbols per minute on Russian and 150+ on English. Without further ado, let’s get to the most interesting part – hard skills.
What Tasks Does SEO Junior Need To Perform?
1. Research the market
To know how to do something, you need to know how it has already been done successfully.
Competitor analysis is a crucial part of SEO work. It’s vitally important to know how to find your key competitors, define their SEO strategy, analyze competitor’s content, keywords, anchor-lists, and to define their strengths and weaknesses.
2. Design technical tasks
Have you asked yourself why you are required to know English? It’s because you will design most of the technical tasks for copywriters in English.
To have everything done correctly, a TZ programmer needs to know how to create shortcodes and integrate them into Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, and Google Tag Manager.
3. Works with CMS/WP
Do you know how to develop a website architecture?
And how to use functions in CMS/WP, edit title, description, and how to interpret the content layout?
What are SEO Ultimate, All In One SEO, and Yoast SEO plugins? How can you use them to create titles and descriptions?
How to load third-party scripts, files, styles, and how does the load order impact the page load speed?
Also, how to add text to WordPress and edit the page mark up with the same CMS?
If you are confused with answering any of these questions, we advise you to find out the list of SEO Junior’s top tasks asap.
4. Optimize content
By that, we mean optimizing content to improve your search ranking. To succeed, you need to be a confident user of terms like “spam,” “density and the exact keyword stuffing,” “LSI,” “Panda-algorithm for content optimization.” I also recommend you to identify the logical structure of text, content blocks and know how to apply heading and subheadings in the page mark up.
5. Verify meta tags
The devil isn’t as black as it’s painted, especially when you’re familiar with the topic. To start with, learn to optimize metatags due to the website semantics, find out how you can edit or update meta tags and how to check whether they are correct.
6. Apply internal link-building techniques
To manage this task effectively, you need to define the best internal linking strategy and understand its influence on the final results. You also need to learn how to create an anchor-list for linking according to the semantic analysis you have previously conducted.
7. Develop and analyze anchor-lists
Base your anchor-list creation on the link-building plan. Define the required number of anchors and non-anchors along with the risks of aggressive anchor listings.
8. Search for the content for link-building
On this point, you will need to assist in link mass generation and unique content search from Web Archive, Spinning. For this task, you are required to know at least 10 link-building tactics, including:
• how to operate main link types (e.g. forums, comments, 3d-blogs, guest posts, catalogs, Q&A, infographics, Wikipedia, outreach, PBN)
• how to evaluate the relevance of each source, the required resources, and the campaign efficiency
• how to find untapped link-building opportunities
Analyze quality and authority of sites due to main SEO metrics
What needs to be used for the analysis?
• Metrics: PageRank, DomainRating, URL Rating, Google Index, Trust Flow, Citation Flow, Alexa rank, Thinkpad
• Instruments: Ahrefs, Majestic, Semrush, Serpstat, Alexa Rank, RDS Bar, SEO quake.
You can also benefit from acquiring skills like basic HTML/CSS, micro-niche search and analysis of its TOPs, content audit regarding the search entries, and find new content solutions.
How can you implement all this stuff? Below you’ll find a basic but useful list of SEO tools that will definitely ease your work straightaway.
What To Learn?
1. GWT and Google analytics (the functional toolkit)
• how to upload website metrics
• how the data is gathered
• what types of reports can be generated
• whether data is relevant
• how to pull the data
• what is the maximum term of the “Efficiency” report (for GWT)
2. Screaming Frog (functional toolkit)
• how to crawl the website and the sitemap
• how to find orphan pages
• how to work with standard report
3. Semantic analysis
• where to collect keywords for the initial niche analysis
• where to get real keys to go from a search engine to competitors
• what tools can collect keys from different sources quickly
• how to clean the semantics form garbage and duplicates based on the word permutation
• how to design a plan for site structure and a sample of semantics for your site
• why clustering is importan
4. Google Spreadsheet
• where to find the anchor list, the organic traffic volume, links placed, the number of indexed pages and their growth, organic keys, traffic, site ranking
• how to check the quality of technical website optimizatio
6. Tracking codes
• how do the tracking codes of the main instruments look like (GA, SC, Hotjar)
• how tracking codes work
• where the codes are located in tools
• where to insert codes on the website
• how and where to set GWT tracking code for analytics
And the last, but not the least, is communication with the team lead. It is one of the main components of every Junior’s day-to-day work routine. Most likely, your manager will not only give you tasks but will also actively participate in their implementation. The higher position still won’t give you a lot of freedom. But don’t stress! You are a full-fledged employee and part of a team, so feel free to offer new ideas and to crave work on interesting projects. The initiative always pays off. You also shouldn’t panic because of the critics. In my opinion, this is one of the shortest ways to self-development.
Now, after you have read the post and (in case) decided you can do more – awesome, stay tuned! The next article will be focused around the Middle’s main duties and responsibilities, so you will get the checklist to decide on your chances to get to the new grade.